Firm: State of Tennessee Department of Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities
Start Date: 3/1/2018
Full-Time Permanent Position
Health Benefits? Yes
Starting Salary: $4,542.00 - $8,176.00 per month DOE
Typical Hours: 37.5
Location: Nashville, TN
Position Description: This position serves as team member of the Office of General Counsel (OGC) for the Department of Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities (DIDD). This position is located at Citizens Plaza, 400 Deaderick Street, Nashville, Tennessee. The position is Executive Service and reports to the Director of Legal Services.
Examples of the duties and responsibilities of this position:
• Provide legal advice to DIDD personnel, as requested.
• Prepare memoranda, letters or other documents to carry out both the advice and the action of DIDD.
• Represent DIDD in contested/uncontested cases in various courts across Tennessee.
• Provide assistance to the Attorney General’s Office.
• Perform complex, as well as, routine legal reviews and analyses in order to formulate courses of actions which support the business mission of DIDD and maintain compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Interpret and apply federal and state legal requirements affecting DIDD programs.
• Assist in the development of DIDD’s legislative proposals and bill analyses.
• Some overnight travel is possible, estimated to be about twice a month.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an approved school of law and experience equivalent to three years of increasingly responsible professional fulltime experience in the practice of law.
Necessary Special Qualifications: Possession of a license to practice law in the State of Tennessee and be in good standing without a disciplinary record with the state’s Board of Professional Responsibility; Possession of a valid Driver License.
Applicants must have an acceptable academic record.
The selected applicant will be required to:
- Complete a criminal history disclosure form;
- Agree to release all records involving their criminal history to the appointing authority;
- Supply a fingerprint sample prescribed by the TBI based criminal history records clerk.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Skills needed for this position include strong knowledge of frequently used computer programs (Microsoft Office, Excel, and Outlook) as well as legal research software. This position requires a thorough analytical approach to problem solving and complaint resolution, strong multitasking, computer and Internet research skills, flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work well with all levels of internal and external management and staff. The position requires attention to detail and excellent process oriented thinking.
If your name appears on the Tennessee Department of Health Abuse Registry, the Protection from Harm Registry or on the Substantiated Investigations Records Inquiry (SIRI) database that is maintained by the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, or the Felony Offender Registry that is maintained by the State of Tennessee, we cannot consider you for employment in this position.
This organization participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
The State of Tennessee is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens, and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination or illegal harassment in the workplace. It is the state's policy to provide an environment free of discrimination or harassment of an individual because of that person's race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
Any NSL Alumni at your organization? Yes
To apply: Anyone interested in applying for this position should send their resume, both undergraduate and graduate transcripts and DD-214 (Member 4 copy), if applicable, to Leah.Browning@tn.gov .
Deadline to apply: 2/28/2018